When you ask for permission to use something that belongs to someone else you have to do your best to
be polite. It is desirable
to use the word "please."
- Can I go out, please?
- May I open the window, please?
- Please, can I have a look at your photo album?
- Please, may I taste that hot spicy couscous dish?
- Do you mind if I smoke?
- Would you mind if I asked you something?
- Is it okay if I sit here?
- Would it be all right if I borrowed your mobile Phone?
- Do you mind if I leave now
- May I come in ?
- Could I ………, please ?
- Excuse me, could I try to turn on the computer ?
- I wonder if I could borrow your camera?
Giving permission (positive response):
-By all means -Yes, of course Not at all
-Go ahead -Yes that’s fine
-Yes, why not -Yes certainly
-All right please do - Etc.
-I’m afraid you can’t do that
-You’re not allowed to…..
-You should not……
-No, I am sorry you can’t
Examples of English Conversations:
On the Train
Armand : Excuse me. Would you mind my opening that window?
Bryan : Not at all, please go ahead.
Armand : Thank you. It’s very hot here.
Bryan : True. Can I take some water from your pitcher?
Armand : Certainly. Can I have that magazine for a while?
Bryan : I’m sorry, I haven’t finished reading it. I’ll give it to you as soon as I've finished.
Armand : Thank you.