Tuesday, September 16, 2014

ENGLSIH FOR SMK "EXPRESSION ASKING AND GIVING PERMISSION"


When you ask for permission to use something that belongs to someone else you have to do your best to be polite. It is desirable to use the word "please."

Asking for Permission:
  • Can I go out, please?
  • May I open the window, please?
  • Please, can I have a look at your photo album?
  • Please, may I taste that hot spicy couscous dish?
  • Do you mind if I smoke?
  • Would you mind if I asked you something?
  • Is it okay if I sit here?
  • Would it be all right if I borrowed your mobile Phone?
  • Do you mind if I leave now
  • May I come in ?
  • Could I ………, please ?
  • Excuse me, could I try to turn on the computer ?
  • I wonder if I could borrow your camera?
  • Etc.
Giving permission (positive response):
-By all means                -Yes, of course Not at all
-Go ahead                     -Yes that’s fine
-Yes, why not                -Yes certainly
-All right please do       - Etc.

Refusing permission  (negative response):
-I’m afraid you can’t do that
-You’re not allowed to…..
-You should not……
-No, I am sorry you can’t

Examples of English Conversations:

On the Train

Armand   : Excuse me. Would you mind my opening that window?
Bryan      : Not at all, please go ahead.
Armand   : Thank you. It’s very hot here.
Bryan      : True. Can I take some water from your pitcher?
Armand   : Certainly. Can I have that magazine for a while?
Bryan      : I’m sorry, I haven’t finished reading it. I’ll give it to you as soon as I've finished.
Armand   : Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. denagn saya membaca postingan pak afi saya bisa lebih tau bagaimana cara memberi ijin dan meminta ijin yang baik dan benar..
    by: oktavia widya p.v x ak 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. postingan ini bagus karena dapat memberitahukan kepada kita cara untuk memberi dan meminta ijin yang baik dan benar
    dari: rizki dwi syahputri x AK 2

    ReplyDelete